[conspire] Contact DOJ and tell them to blow it out their ass

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 23 14:10:36 PDT 2017

I wrote:

> OK, I've only barely attempted to research this, but this appears to be
> the California Unruh Civil Rights Act of 1959, as amended.  (Jesse M. Unruh
> was for many long decades a famous California politician in the 1950s
> and 1960s, but now little remembered by Golden Staters.  Sic transit
> gloria mundi.)

Correction:  Unruh also had a second, rather remarkable career as a
four-term California Treasurer in the 1970s and 1980s.  Before Unruh,
the Treasurer was considered an almost comically insignificant elected
post, but Unruh turned this around.  Again, quoting Wikipedia:

  When he campaigned for state treasurer during 1974, the post was
  considered insignificant.  Unruh's radio advertisements assured
  voters, "Make no mistake about it, I really want this job".  Once
  elected, Unruh politicized the office.  The Wall Street Journal noted he
  became "the most politically powerful public finance officer outside the
  U.S. Treasury".  California pension funds were a major source of
  revenue for Wall Street underwriting companies, and Unruh secured
  campaign contributions in exchange for doing business with them.  The New
  York Times said he had gained control of "an obscure post whose duties
  had long emphasized bookkeeping.  In characteristic fashion, he soon
  transformed the job into a source of financial and political power that
  reached from California to Wall Street."  Because as Treasurer he was
  ex officio member of many California boards and commissions, Unruh
  supervised "the raising and expenditure of virtually all the state's
  money and consolidated his influence over billions of dollars in public
  investments and pension funds".

  He served as state treasurer from 1975 until his death from prostate
  cancer on August 4, 1987, 8 months into his 4th term as treasurer.  Unruh
  remains the second longest-serving California State Treasurer, excepting
  only Charles G. Johnson (who served 33 years between 1923 and 1956).  The
  University of Southern California Department of Political Science
  includes the Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics. [...]

  The California State Treasurer’s Building was rededicated and renamed
  the Jesse M. Unruh State Office Building by Gov. George Deukmejian on
  August 19, 1987.