[conspire] Watering automation: an edge case cautionary tale

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Tue Mar 21 22:40:42 PDT 2017

For reasons that are lost in time, in my experience, one has to refer to pipe as "trade size".  I don't expect 1" pipe to have anything that measures as 1".   The dimensions were established by the pipe manufacturer's and became understood by the plumbers.  So fittings for 1" pipe from one company will work with 1" pipe from another.

My personal guess is that this  started with pipes with a certain inside dimension to carry so much water.  Then fittings were designed to attach the outside of the pipes.  After the fittings became widely used, metallurgy improved.  Pipes could hold the same pressure with thinner walls.  But the fittings generally attach to the outside.  Or maybe this all had to do with the first major makers of pipe not being very careful with exact measurements.
I used 1" as an example.  For most anything in and around a hose 3/4 is quite adequate.  You could go down to 1/2 for some sprinkler circuits.  Or just do everything in 3/4 to keep it simple.

Then there is lumber. Long ago, trees were sawn into timbers that measured 2" x 4".  But the sawing left edges that were rough.  So it was decided to have 2x4's that were sanded smooth.  And that had to be standardized.  For a while the the sanded ones measured 1- 3/4 x 3-3/4 inches.  Oh, and saw technology improved so they didn't really have to sand 1/8" off all of the faces.  About 50 years ago, it was decided that these dimensions were too awkward for the math skills of the typical carpenter.   (Or maybe the lumber industry wanted to get a few more cents from each tree.)  So the standard for so-called 2x4's became 1-1/2 by 3-3/2"