[conspire] math for blind

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Fri Mar 17 18:35:01 PDT 2017

 I was hoping for a constructive discussion about instruction for people with special needs.  When I tried to think about math for the blind, I kept using words like "see" and "visualize".  Obviously my thinking was totally wrong.
A little web browsing gave a lot of suggestions for grade school math concepts using physical objects for counting, grouping, etc.  Some of these would also be great for people who have sight but don't understand math.  There was also an account of someone getting on a stool to feel how the two walls and a ceiling make a 3D corner. Apparently there are adaptations for Braille that supports mathematical equations.

Then, I recalled that many years ago, I knew a blind man who was an systems analyst at IBM.  Sometimes I took him to an evening meeting.  Coming home, I was the one with the disadvantage.  He had no difficulty going through the dark parking lot.
He really liked his cable TV, which he generally had on the Playboy channel.  He enjoyed it just as much from the next room as long as the volume was up