[conspire] Watering automation: an edge case cautionary tale

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 07:41:44 PST 2017

Rick,

You have hit on the big difference between micro-controllers such as the
Arduinos and computers such as the Raspberry Pi.

The Pi and many others are 3.3V whereas the Arduinos have many versions
that use 5V. This is important when trying to interface to the rest of the world.

Most of the Arduinos have multiplexed analog to digital inputs. While these
are not high performance a/d converters, they are more than adequate for
most uses.

While there are ‘hats’ for the Raspberry Pi that can do a/d and other i/o,
the low price of Arduinos makes them a good choice to handle the
interface between the Pi and external hardware in the real world where
you need a/d and real time control.

The limited memory of the 8 bit Arduinos and the lack of higher level
languages for them means that using them as smart peripherals to a
computer such as the Raspberry Pi means that the programming for
the Arduino can be much simpler and smaller.

Ross