[conspire] (forw) Need to Install Ubuntu Linux

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Tue Jan 31 12:42:29 PST 2017

On 01/31/2017 08:45 PM, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:

> Seriously?
> 1) New motherboards with a COM1 pin header are still common.

yeah this was a nice surprise even on pretty new motherboards and
*fortunately* I had serial cables with headers for mobo around. I did a
quick check and it seems that a male db9 to mobo header is around $5-$9
including the L (how do you call it?) Still... $5 for a 3 inches cable.
So if you've old computers around that's one of the things it is really
worth to save in a drawer.

I've been so frustrated by laptop missing the serial cable and usb to
db9 not working properly that "it is hard to find serial in new PC" got
tattooed in my mind.

If you're not used to read the motherboard manual, a good reminder could
be the peripheral section in your BIOS.

> 2) PCIe serial cards are easy to get.

$10 you get 2 serial ports and you waste a PCIe

> 3) USB to DB9 adapters are everywhere.

Once upon a time it was not so easy to get serious emulation, you always
missed some signal or levels where wrong etc...
Now you don't have to buy a bunch to find one that really works.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it http://www.borgonovo.net