[conspire] (forw) Re: Need to Install Ubuntu Linux

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Jan 27 02:44:29 PST 2017

On 01/27/2017 09:48 AM, Rick Moen wrote:

> I am guessing that this was a new model around 2014.  Also, if you'll
> pardon a correction, '800GB RAM' is not correct, and I'm guessing you
> meant to say 8 GB.  That is a reasonable albeit not bountiful amount of
> RAM for a current desktop computer, and will suffice.  Again, assuming

My desktop is currently using 1.2Gb.
I'm running a BLOATED Java app, thunderbird, firefox, hexchat, a couple
of terminals.
When I parallel compile eg. Yocto, I'm mostly constrained by CPU (or
probably I/O or a mix of everything, but RAM usage is still much below 8Gb).
If I fire up virtualbox and run a couple of apps in XP RAM consumption
goes up to 2.5Gb

I can think of few things that may require RAM if you're not a programmer:
- gaming
- photo/movie editing
- you need a VM for Windows

A non professional user may be more interested in multiple monitors in
high resolution that generally require a well supported graphic card.
This could be not only more expensive than adding RAM but also more
painful since there is no good support for graphic cards in Linux.
At least don't expect the same level of support of... a network card.
I wonder if this is going to change since GPU integrated in CPU are a)
getting more popular and b) fast enough to drive several monitors in
high resolution.
Then 2 things may happen:
- consumers will be forced to upgrade the whole system
- support will be extended
- we're going to see Linus middle finger again

If you are a programmer you may have installed in your PC several VM, a
large DB, practising "continuous development"...

Most of the times a PC is a single user box.
My home server that is a "few users" box is eating 650Mb.
It runs a modest DB for horde and a second run of spamassassin (first
run happens at the ISP that takes care of getting rid of most of the spam).
It has 100 open connections (samba, imaps mainly, few https and ssh
connections).
Those comes from android mobiles and home PCs in a family of 3 (the cat
isn't networked yet).

Add more users then add more RAM.
But I guess you've to have a pretty large extended family to be
concerned about RAM... unless again you're offering public services eg.
like a mailing list or a SMTP server.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it http://www.borgonovo.net