[conspire] gardening

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Tue Jan 17 22:59:42 PST 2017

I stand corrected.  In any event, you have some decades of experience.

I still find it magical to plant a seed and later harvest.  When I have a good crop I give thanks; when I have a bad crop I give thanks that there are places I can buy food.

I will save zucchini in a separate email.

>For those who don't have space for a vegetable garden, or want to sample
>things you don't happen to grow, I strongly recommend farmers' markets.
>You'll wonder why you put up with food that wasn't really fresh and
>didn't really taste right.

>http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/farmers-markets.html

I would encourage you to add the two produce markets, perhaps under a separate heading, especially since a lot of farmer's markets are not open in January.

As for really fresh and tasting really good, there is quit a lot of detail in picking produce at just the proper degree of ripeness and getting it to the market in a timely fashion.  The details depend on the particular food.

For the best corn, the time between harvest and eating should really be measured in minutes. However, following the introduction of Illini Xtra Sweet Hybrid, there are varieties of corn which don't immediately start converting sugar to starch. It is possible to find reasonably OK corn that picked the day before.  BTW, the produce stands rarely have corn on Mondays because it would have been picked on Saturday.

Bartlett Pears do not properly ripen on the tree.  I was skeptical when a nurseryman told that they need to be picked while quite firm and given several weeks of cool storage to develope the best flavor. A few summers later, I was looking at a tree full of almost ripe pears while preparing for an extended vacation.  Several weeks later, the pears in the garage proved to be delicious.

Most oranges can be left on the tree for several months.  They actually store better on the tree than any other place.  The disadvantages are that the skin might "re-green", but that is only an appearance issue. Also this discourages the tree from setting the next years crop.