[conspire] How to kill a gigabit switch

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Sun Feb 26 12:37:45 PST 2017

RE: the electrical.  I recall Chris saying that in Germany a degree in EE was a valuable credential with the building inspector.  In this country, I know too many EE's with degrees from major universities who would be at risk if they tried to actually wire anything more than a flashlight.

BTW, I do have a copy of the NEC.  Some of the provisions might seem bizarre at first, but upon consideration everyone can be traced to a potential (even if unlikely) hazard.  NEC = National Electric Code.  My very first copy was almost pocket-size.  It has grown to be bigger than a phone book.  Ah what would be a 21st century counterpart to a big book?  A physical book.

RE: swales.  My in-laws lived their retirement in Florida.  In many neighborhoods swales are "standard".  A low area, along the edge of the paved road, maybe 10 feet wide and 3 ft deep in the middle.  When it rains, they retain water.  After several dry days, the water sinks into the sandy ground.  When it isn't too wet, the gardener can mow the grass in the swale as just a part of the lawn.
More specifically to the Linux Mafia HQ.  In parts of the Bay Area, there are "expansive" soils.  The ground shrinks during the dry summer and swells in the rainy season.  Are you aware of any cracks in the plaster walls that open or close between the seasons?  If NO, smile.  If YES, the foundation might also have cracks.  You should definitely make major changes in the rain water drainage followed by discussions with civil engineer.  Can't really correct the foundation until the water is fixed.  I can talk more at a CABAL accompanied by some adult beverages.

Assuming "no", when conditions are good for outdoor work, you might still consider another swale or similar contour to re-direct the water from the uphill neighbors to your garden area, if only for the sake of reducing water in your "server room".
Paul