[conspire] (forw) [DNG] Life After Firefox 56

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Feb 24 11:06:40 PST 2017

begin Rick Moen quotation of Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 12:03:25AM -0800:
> Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
>
> > Thank you for the advance warning.   Having once used Netscape, I have
> > typically installed both Seamonkey and IceWeasel | Firefox.   I wish
> > the the composer feature of Seamonkey had more support, but it much
> > better than the IceWeasel | Firefox.
>
> The good news is that, at minimum, it turns out that Firefox-ESR will
> be a workaround (not to mention SeaMonkey, Waterfox, and Pale Moon).

The new WebExtension model has a missing feature: a
WebExtension can't flip a preference.

Firefox comes with a bunch of good privacy features
that are turned off by default, because they break some
third-party site features (or, in the case of Tracking
Protection, because they're falsely detected as ad
blockers).

The convenient way to enable the features (especially
on small devices where dinking with about:config is
a pain) is to make an extension that just sets the
preferences you care about (and restores them to
the defaults on uninstall if the user didn't change
them manually).

Example: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pq/

That add-on will stop working for ~70 Firefox
users when old-school add-ons go away.  Happy to
move it to the right place to keep it working for
whatever Firefox derivatives want to keep support
for old-school add-ons.

> But I continue to love my cheap-ass Casio watches.

  Bonus link: How the Casio F-91W became the world’s most versatile (and dangerous) watch
  https://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/10/20/how-the-casio-f-91w-became-the-worlds-most-versatile-and-dangerous-watch/

--
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/