[conspire] Emergency numbers worldwide, a culture note

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Sat Dec 23 20:24:49 PST 2017

That would match my experience in Amsterdam.  No difficulty in local shops that don't do much tourist business.
When my daughter started working as a translator, one of the first words I learned was "localization".   That covers the customs that go beyond just words, such as measuring flour in grams instead of cups.