[conspire] VirtualBox & port forwarding

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Dec 10 11:11:25 PST 2017

Ah, bit from yesterday's meeting.  I'd forgotten the precise details
of how I'd done it before ... was easier for me to look it up again
where I'd done it.  ;-)

Anyway, default VirtualBox network setup, ... port forwarding,
to be able to, e.g. ssh from host to guest, but not expose
guest to being accessed from The Internet (or whatever is upstream
of host),
for the host IP: 127.0.0.1
that's localhost - only talks to the host itself, not routable.
For host port, pick any unused "high number" (<=1024) port that's
available, e.g.: 2222
Guest IP - need to use the guest's IP address, this would be the
one the guest uses to talk to upstream,
e.g.: 192.168.x.x
(or 10.x.x.x ... whatever's being used by the guest - I don't
recall what network block VirtualBox uses by default)

Then, presuming guest is listening on TCP port 22 on wildcard
(all addresses, or at least all IPv4 addresses),
then from host, should be able to use ssh to 127.0.0.0 port 2222 (or
whatever was configured on the port forwarding).

Extra credit:
Can the equivalent be done with IPv6?  If not, why not, if so,
what does that configuration look like?