[conspire] (forw) Linux Journal, April 1994 - November 2017

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 1 18:21:58 PST 2017

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 18:21:30 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: linux-elitists at zgp.org
Subject: Linux Journal, April 1994 - November 2017

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-journal-ceases-publication

  Linux Journal Ceases Publication
  Dec 01, 2017 By Carlie Fairchild

  EOF

  It looks like we’re at the end, folks. If all goes according to a plan
  we’d rather not have, the November issue of Linux Journal was our last.
  The simple fact is that we’ve run out of money, and options along with
  it. We never had a wealthy corporate parent or deep pockets of our own,
  and that made us an anomaly among publishers, from start to finish.
  While we got to be good at flying close to the ground for a long time,
  we lost what little elevation we had in November, when the scale finally
  tipped irrevocably to the negative.

  While we see a future like publishing’s past—a time when advertisers
  sponsor a publication because they value its brand and readers—the
  advertising world we have today would rather chase eyeballs, preferably
  by planting tracking beacons in readers' browsers and zapping them with
  ads anywhere those readers show up. But that future isn’t here, and the
  past is long gone.

  There is some hope, we suppose, that a savior might come through; but it
  will have to be one willing to pick up some of our debt, in addition to
  our brand, our archive, our domains and our subscribers and readers. If
  you know anyone who can make a serious offer, let us know. Otherwise,
  watch LinuxJournal.com and hope that at least our legacy archives (which
  won’t go away. There’s a lot of great stuff here, and a lot of history
  we’d hate the world to lose.
  [...]

Columnist Kyle Rankin also has a valedictory column, here:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/so-long-and-thanks-all-bash

I'm not clear if there i$ a place to $end gesture$ of appreciation.

--
Cheers,                      Welcome to our special issue on violence in the
Rick Moen                    workplace..., I mean system administration.

----- End forwarded message -----