[conspire] How to kill a gigabit switch

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 9 00:46:56 PDT 2017

Feb. 21st, I wrote:

> Aha, there's your problem (said the auto mechanic who noticed the engine
> being missing).  My Netgear GS108 8-port unmanaged ethernet switch for
> the outside network has, as it often does, tumbled from its shelf onto
> the floor of my crawl space, except _this_ time, there's about 5 gallons
> of standing water near the corner, and the Netgear is lying square in
> said pool, definitively, clinically dead.
>
> Ave, Mr. Switch.  You were a good soldier.

Update:  It yet lives.

Tonight, I fetched the switch's power cube from the under-house
crawlspace.  The my (and possibly others') astonishment, the recently
submerged, recently extremely soggy and non-functional ethernet switch
appears to work perfectly.  My thanks to Daniel for working through a
functionality test on all eight ports.