[conspire] (forw) Re: (forw) Re: VirtualBox

Dana Goyette danagoyette at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:17:21 PDT 2016

Qemu can do VMDK files, too.  I'd recommend using virt-manager -- it's far more convenient than writing a whole raw qemu command line.
You should be able to boot, say, an Ubuntu live image (shouldn't even need persistence), and install virt-manager there.

Assuming you have the vmdk file somewhere writable, you should be able to create a VM using that existing VMDK file.  I don't recall off-hand if the booted-from USB flash drive is mounted writable, so you may want to have it on a second flash drive.

Some issues to watch out for (these apply to both Qemu and Virtualbox):

* If the converted OS was using UEFI, you should set the VM to use UEFI.  If using Qemu, you may have to install the "ovmf" package separately.
* If the installed Windows is using an OEM license (certificate embedded in the firmware), it likely won't be possible to activate it in the VM.
* If the installed Windows is using a retail license, it might activate successfully, but will eat up one of the limited number of changed-hardware activations; you'll want to back up the temporary VM to preserve the virtual hardware environment.
* To back up a VirtualBox VM, you can back up the directory.  Example: ~/VirtualBox VMs/MyVM
* To back up a libvirt VM, use "virsh dumpxml MyVM > MyVM.xml", and back up the XML file somewhere.  You can restore it via "virsh define MyVM.xml"