[conspire] (forw) Re: (forw) Re: VirtualBox

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Sep 26 09:29:12 PDT 2016

Hard drives are cheap and you can get good improvements in capacity
and performance by swapping hard drives.

And there's value in keeping the old one as a backup, like DG says.

I like SSHDs- they don't cost much more than pure spinning media and
they give you a lot of the performance boost of SSDs.

GNOME Boxes?  Hmmm...

"Boxes is a GNOME application in Fedora that is used to create,
manage, and run virtual machines. It was designed with simplicity and
ease of use in mind, building upon the harder to use qemu-based
virt-manager.Feb 2, 2015"

KVM's not hard to use.  You use -hda to give is a filename for a hard
drive and -cdrom to give it an iso file and -boot d to tell it to boot
from the iso for your install, and omit those two arguments
thereafter.  And you can also use other simple arguments to reserve it
more memory or have it be VNC-connectable or whatever.  You do need a
CPU with virtualization capability (and enabled in your BIOS), since
KVM doesn't degrade to a poorly performing mode if it can't modprobe
kvm.
# man kvm
# man kvm-qemu

I'm not sure super easy to use point and click is good in beneficial
for things like this.  You lose scriptability.