[conspire] (forw) Re: [Sclug] Fwd: [libreoffice-users] Goodbye to Open Office (maybe?)

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 16:24:59 PDT 2016

This is not a hypothetical. A number of years ago when OO was maintained,
I used to follow on the support board. A user in France asked about OO
opening an older version of MS Word files. Answer was not know, but since
OO was free, it was suggested that the user download and try it. OO did
indeed open the older file that the current and previous version of MS
Word would not open.

Next question was could a script be written to batch convert the older MS
Word files to the current OO file format? Answer was yes. When queried
about how many files, the user admitted that she worked for a French
government agency and had bout 4 million public documents written in the
older version of MS Word that Microsoft Word would no longer would read.
Effectively MS held their documents hostage.

So much for trusting your documents to MS.

Ross