[conspire] (forw) Re: (forw) Re: VirtualBox

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Tue Oct 4 09:35:45 PDT 2016

Tony Godshall wrote:
>> Have you tried it?

I very much appreciate the suggestions of Tony and others. In the real world, this project running at a low duty cycle.
In part, because I need to learn about virtualization and also don't want to do something that can't be undone in case I get it wrong.

What I have done is get a rather large USB SSD that now has back-ups of the original windows installation partitions.  It also has the vmdk file.

Following Danial's advise I ordered a replacement drive for the laptop.  The original drive matched this description:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W02KN0946.

What I ordered is 1T HD with 8G SSD cache.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340&cm_re=sshd_2.5-_-22-178-340-_-Product

A new drive, not "refurbished"   500GB drives were $60, for $25 more I get twice the memory.  Rather unusual for 2x storage to not cost at least 2x $.  Seagate has a part number for 32GB cache, but it is not available.

I also downloaded a fresh iso for Debian so I can install it on the new SSHD.

I also downloaded the Dell Manual, so I know exactly which screws to remove to swap the drive.

The drive is projected to arrive on Friday and I already have a busy weekend scheduled. :-(

Lastly, I kept detailed notes about the original disk and how to back up the partitions, etc. Some of that work seems less important since I will be archiving the disk itself in a box.