[conspire] (forw) Re: [Hangout-NYLXS] | | | Android GRIPE ! | | I take it this was a suggestion to load another OS on the smartpho. Could be a good possibility....

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu May 26 20:13:06 PDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-05-25 at 21:50 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Despite the (somewhat false) claim of Ubuntu Phone / Ubuntu Touch
> being
> open source, there is zero existing facility for reflashing any phone,
> even eligible ones, with the OS.  The only way you can presently get
> it
> is as a preload on one of the four official devices.

This is false. It was ported to many existing phones and you can flash
any of them with it. The reference model was always the Nexus 4, which
can still run it great. I personally ran it on a Nexus 5 for some time,
but I hated it. The official name was changed from Ubuntu Touch to
Ubuntu Phone, by the way. To me, Kubuntu Phone actually looked more
promising, but when I attempted to run that, I found it supremely
unstable.