[conspire] Warning: You'll never get your time back from this thread

Margaret Wendall mwendall at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:14:35 PDT 2016

All this is very interesting. When I bought my Kindle (an aeon age) the
sales clerk advised using the USB cable that came in the box, so I've done
this and my Kindle works sort-of. I keep it on hand so I can download
Kindle books to my other devices. I follow the same advice with my Apple
devices. I really don't know if the same rule spplies or not, but I haven't
had problems.

Margaret Wendall

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Daniel Gimpelevich <
daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> On Wed, 2016-05-11 at 15:20 -0700, Mike Higashi wrote:
> > I got it at a trade show, so it wasn't branded with the manufacturer,
> > but it looks exactly like this:
> >

> http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Charge-Transfer-Protection-Switch/dp/B00Y42IE76
> >
> > The one I have always defaults to data off when plugged in. Pushing a
> > button turns a LED from green to amber and enables data transfer.
>
> Waste of money. Pre-USB3 devices DIScharge faster when charging without
> a data connection, which is _required_ for actual charging. The cables
> with no data connection are for devices that simply use a USB connector
> but don't do data in any way.

Margaret Wendall
mwendall-at-gmail-dot-com
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Juvenal