[conspire] VirtualBox

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 7 21:40:10 PST 2016

Forwarding back, assumed an accidental departure into private mail.

----- Forwarded message from Paul Zander <paulz at ieee.org> -----

Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 04:36:47 +0000 (UTC)
From: Paul Zander <paulz at ieee.org>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [conspire] VirtualBox

>From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
>
>Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
>
>> * Not getting install media with a computer makes this difficult.
>> From the point of view of the profit motivated computer supplier, this
>> sort of makes sense.  90% of the disks will never be used.  When I
>> wanted to replace XP, I bought a disk online. It was labeled, "Only
>> for installation on brand-D computer."
>
>Grey-market product, you see.

If the install media is not routinely supplied with computers,
there won't be disks for the grey-market.

Good for MicroSoft, not so good for the rest of us.

>> * Of the suggestions offered, I am inclined to follow the advise to
>> get the Win 10 update.
>
>Why not give VMware's P2V (physical to virtual converter) a try, so you
>can cram your current MS-Windows installation into a virtual machine?

Ah, ah, because I had always used dual-boot to get to Windows and
hadn't really needed to consider the alternatives until now.

>Seems to me, you're entitled to control the machine and make it work the
>way you want to -- though I've always been a bit stubborn, that way.

Here is one area where the stubborn Viking and the stubborn German would
totally agree.

One of the slogans of the Maker Faire is, "If you can't take it apart,
you don't own it."

Meanwhile, I found the following link which indicates that the  Debian
network install image does support UEFI and dual boot. Come to think of it,
when I installed Jessie, I downloaded the image for CD 1, which was not
a live CD.

http://linux.about.com/od/howtos/ss/How-To-Dual-Boot-Windows-81-And-Debian-Jessie.htm

----- End forwarded message -----