[conspire] Live Distro on USB

Dana Goyette danagoyette at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 16:29:49 PST 2016

If your Windows is installed in EFI mode and your Debian or Mint is installed in legacy mode, it makes sense that Grub won’t be able to find the Windws partition.  Even if legacy grub did see the EFI Windows, there’s no way to get back into EFI mode to boot it.

On my own EFI systems, I use “rEFInd” as the boot chooser: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
The ArchLinux wiki gives a really good description of how to install it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd
Even if you use other distros (see http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html ), the wiki page is still a useful reference.

I’d suggest using the --usedefault option to install to <EFI System Partition>/EFI/BOOT.  That’s how I do it even on machines that don’t have any issues with the “normal” install technique.  My only gripe with rEFInd: the default grey theme is really ugly, and completely out of place on non-Apple computers.