[conspire] (forw) Re: New Trojan Spies on Linux Users by Taking Screenshots and Recording Audio

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 22 10:46:47 PST 2016

Redirecting to the mailing list, as I assume Pual departed into private
mail by accident.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the widespread construing of 'malware' to mean
'software that does bad things'.  Part of my point is that that's a
dumb concept that conceals a crucial distinction between security
compromise (which is of vital interest and the key to everything) and
post-compromise misbehaviour (which ain't).

Let's put this in non-computer terms.

Dr.Web basically is sending a salesman around to banks, where the
salesman says:  'River City Bank got burglarised by John Dillinger last
weekend, who walked into the back of the bank, stole a bunch of cash and
jewels, egged the branch manager's office, and poured honey all over the
HR records.  For the small sum of $500/month, you can buy our
anti-malcustomer service, where we post our guy inside yoru bank branch.
He'll be clutching a snapshot of Dillinger, and, if he sees the guy,
will yell out "Hey, it's Dillinger!" and call the cops.  He also has
snapshots of Al Capone, Bugsy Siegel, and Baby Face Nelson.  As our
malcustomer research service hears about other malcustomers, we will be
FedExing our guy additional snapshots.'

You should be saying 'Wait, isn't the point not the damage Dillinger is
able to do with eggs and honey, but rather whatever mistake allowed him
to waltz into the back of River City Bank in the first place?  Why
shouldn't I just have elementary branch security and not waste time
screwing around with your guy and snapshots?'

Dillinger's egging and pouring of honey was an irrelevant sideshow.
Linux.Ekocms.1 taking screenshots and recording microphone audio is an
irrelevant sideshow.  What matters is how Dilliger (Linux.Ekocms.1) gets
into the back office (system).

You don't need anti-dillingerware.  You need basic security.  If you
don't have basic security, you have much bigger problems than the
carefully unspecified alleged threat of trojans allegedly put onto your
system via carefully undisclosed means.

People keep buying this bullshit, and I have really no idea why.

(Greetings from SCALE14x, DevOps track.)

----- Forwarded message from Paul Zander <paulz at ieee.org> -----