[conspire] Live Distro on USB

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Feb 28 01:24:11 PST 2016

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> First off, it has been helpful to me to write the several emails,
> because it focused my thinking even without immediate replies.
[...]

Paul's pondering on this matter, and a couple of small suggestions I
made to test a hypothesis, appear to have solved this mystery.

At the CABAL meeting, Paul and I sat down and entered his Dell laptop's
BIOS.  As I suspected, it was set to have Secure Boot enabled and was
configured to recognise EFI hardware only.  We experimentally disabled
Secure Boot and enabled 'Legacy boot' settings.  This permitted the Dell
to suddenly boot _any_ of the USB-connectable (flash drives Paul had
written, including those it used to not see as bootable hardware at all.

We also verified that his MS-Windows partition is still willing to boot,
even without Secure Boot enforced by the BIOS.  So, problem solved.