[conspire] mimencode

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 26 20:07:40 PST 2016

> Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 22:28:31 -0800
> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> To: conspire at linuxmafia.com
>
> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):
>
>> I also used to use mimencode -u -q a lot.
>
> OK, will try.

Well, mimencode *was* in Debian in a package called metamail.
That package went away due to bugs and loss of upstream maintenance.
There was something about suggestion to instead use mime-codecs ...
not sure what happened with that mime-codecs package, though (I didn't
much research that bit).
https://packages.qa.debian.org/m/metamail.html
https://packages.qa.debian.org/m/metamail/news/20091217T215210Z.html
https://packages.qa.debian.org/m/metamail/news/20091219T163921Z.html

In any case, around the time mimencode and metamail went away from my
system, I found myself quite missing it, and in relatively short order
I coded up a replacement for the functionality of it that I actually
used.

I've uploaded it now, so if one wants to inspect/grab it, can find it here:
http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/perl/mimencode

One can also still find man pages for mimencode, e.g.:
http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/mimencode1.html
http://uw714doc.sco.com/en/man/html.1/mimencode.1.html

But do be aware I didn't implement all of its functionality.  Noteatbly
only support the -u and -q options, and giving it file argument(s).