[conspire] Live Distro on USB

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Mon Feb 22 21:06:13 PST 2016

I previously posted an item about some USB drives not working with live iso files.  Upon further investigation, I have concluded that the problem is not the USB drive, but certain iso files.

In particular, the first live distro happened to linux-mint, which just worked.   Various Debian files don't, even with the same hardware.

Reference:
How do I write a CD/DVD/BD image to a USB flash drive?
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb

Under certain conditions, which are detailed below, the USB drive would get into a state that Linux would not recognize it.   So I cobbled together the following procedure using a computer running Win 8.1 and another running Wheezy.   In the end, I want both computers to run a more recent distro, but I totally underestimated the  difficulties in using live images to evolute different distro.

FORMAT USB DRIVE ON WINDOWS PC, THEN EJECT.

CHECK DEVICES WITHOUT USB DRIVE
$: ls -l /dev/sd[h-l]*

INSERT USB DRIVE
$: ls -l /dev/sd[h-l]*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   8, 128 Feb 21 11:59 /dev/sdi
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   8, 129 Feb 21 11:59 /dev/sdi1
USB DRIVE IS /dev/sdi

$: mount | grep sdi
/dev/sdi1 on /media/paulz/BC53-F947 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)

COPY ISO FILE:
$: sudo dd if=linuxmint-17.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso bs=4M  of=/dev/sdi ; sync
369+1 records in
369+1 records out
1549615104 bytes (1.5 GB) copied, 71.0849 s, 21.8 MB/s

$: ls -l /dev/sd[h-l]*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   8, 128 Feb 21 12:01 /dev/sdi
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   8, 129 Feb 21 11:59 /dev/sdi1

REMOVE USB DRIVE
$: ls -l /dev/sd[h-l]*

REINSERT USB DRIVE
PACMAN FILE MANAGER OPENS DIALOG BOX ASKING TO MOUNT THE FILE
$: ls -l /dev/sd[h-l]*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   8, 128 Feb 21 13:14 /dev/sdi
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   8, 129 Feb 21 13:14 /dev/sdi1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   8, 130 Feb 21 13:14 /dev/sdi2

$: mount | grep sdi
/dev/sdi1 on /media/paulz/Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500,uhelper=udisks2)

PUT USB DRIVE INTO WINDOWS PC
WINDOWS FILE EXPLORER SHOW FOLDER NAMED efi and under it a folder named boot.

NOW REPEAT BUT WITH A debian iso FILE.

$: ls -l /dev/sd[h-l]*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   8, 128 Feb 22 20:04 /dev/sdi
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   8, 129 Feb 22 20:04 /dev/sdi1

$: sudo dd if=debian-live-8.3.0-amd64-lxde-desktop.iso of=/dev/sdi ; sync
[sudo] password for paulz:
1961984+0 records in
1961984+0 records out
1004535808 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 371.283 s, 2.7 MB/s

DEVICE IS STILL THERE AFTER dd
$: ls -l /dev/sd[h-l]*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   8, 128 Feb 22 20:12 /dev/sdi
brw-rw---- 1 root disk   8, 129 Feb 22 20:04 /dev/sdi1

REMOVE DRIVE, WAIT, RE-INSERT.  NOT RECOGNIZED

$: ls -l /dev/sd[h-l]*

PUT USB DRIVE IN WINDOWS MACHINE.
Pop-up says , “You need to format the disk ...”

/var/log/dmesg doesn't have any related entries