[conspire] Order to Compel Apple to Assist With SB Shooter Unlock

Steve M Bibayoff bibayoff at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 16:46:29 PST 2016

Hello,

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
<deirdre at deirdre.net> wrote:

> Do you not understand the idea of signed kernels?

Yes I do. The hardware checks to see if the kernel is signed by the
correct key before it boots. Just boot it off some hardware that
doesn't check the signature. What am I missing?

> What memory card? iPhones don't have them.

Then whatever the non-volatile memory device thing that the iPhone
uses is called? Does this clarify my question?

I will admit I haven't been following anything Apple hardware in over
15(?) years, so would really like some clarification on the issue. Are
you saying there are NO machine level emulators out there where you
could boot up and iPhone image? How 'bout disassemblers to easily
tweak time setting to get over the number of tries per time period?
And what type of time are we looking at the brute force the unlocking
"password"? (is the "password" numeric only? alpha-numeric? pass
phrase? Max length of characters?)

Again, unless I am lacking some major information on how the iPhone
works, these seem like some basic tools that the NSA should have
already.

Steve