[conspire] The simpler life

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Sep 25 17:52:37 PDT 2015

begin Nick Moffitt quotation of Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 10:38:25AM +0000:

> ## pandoc
>
> This is where I'm doing everything today.  It supports many of the
> formats written by eager itch-scratchers.  It is also well-written,
> actively maintained, and extensible through scripts and templates.  It
> supports nearly the full cross-product of the formats it supports, and I
> am confident enough in its design to keep this in my mailcap:
>
>     text/html; /usr/bin/pandoc -f html -t markdown+hard_line_breaks '%s'; copiousoutput
>
> I recently started using tufte.css with colours from the Solarized
> palette, because I really shouldn't be trusted with visual design much.
> [The result is
> attractive](http://zork.net/~nick/.podcast/interviews.html) and [the
> source is easily read as
> well](http://zork.net/~nick/.podcast/interviews.md).

Pandoc is great.  If you read this...
  http://practicaltypography.com/
...and want to make some of the methods
there work without too much extra
tweaking and relying on the "Compose" key (
http://practicaltypography.com/straight-and-curly-quotes.html
) then pandoc conversion of CommonMark to HTML is
the thing.

(CommonMark is the attempt to make Markdown more
consistent between sites and tools.  It would
be especially welcome for Pandoc, ikiwiki, and
GitHub Pages not to have annoying inconsistencies.
The author of Pandoc is the main author of the
CommonMark spec.
  https://github.com/jgm/CommonMark
)

--