[conspire] Patents & copyrights, ideas & expressions

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 12:08:16 PDT 2015

Rick,

Having spent a number of years with schematics, I can attest to the fact that they
are an expression of creativity just as a map or book are.

It was easy to tell the style of the engineer who drew the particular schematic if
you have a number of examples of their style. Much like an artist has a particular
visual style.

When in charge of engineers, I had specific requirements for the schematics that
they submitted. Some were not functional, but stylistic. For example, several
segments of the circuit may have the same ground, but drawing connections
between different functional sections in order to share a ground symbol was
a no go for aesthetic reasons as well as it would make it easy to trace via the
ground and go to the other functionally unrelated section. When I submitted
a schematic for a portion of a design to the engineer to show them what I
wanted or as a suggestion, it was easy to tell my style from his when he
incorporated my schematic into his.

Ross