[conspire] Patents & copyrights, ideas & expressions

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 21 22:51:23 PDT 2015

Posted with Paul's kind concurrence.

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 17:39:20 +0000 (UTC)
From: Paul Zander <paulz at ieee.org>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: IP

Rick,

I would appreciate your comments from a legal / moral viewpoint.  What
is the "right" thing to do?  This is sort of an "open source" hardware
project.

While you are working on updating your Web site, I am working on a
hardware project.  I wanted a simple way to automatically switch power to
Arduino.  I found two choices.

[RM: details of choices snipped]

Being a hardware guy, I built one up.  Some of the parts are newly
purchased from HSC.  Some I have had since before Linux was existed.  Now,
I am thinking maybe I should make a PCB so the next one will be easier to
wire.  Then I started to think beyond just "personal use".  Maybe I know
some other people who would want one.  Maybe I could even sell these and
make a pile of coins.  The Web site says copyright on the schematic.  If
there were a Creative Commons logo, I might know what to do.

Can I re-draw their schematic and legally ignore their copyright because
mine isn't just a cut and paste?  Should I reference their Web site in my
descriptions?  Should I contact the Web site and explain my intentions
first?  I don't think I should just ignore that someone else contributed
some significant mental effort.  IMHO, that would not be the "right thing",
even though the Internet is filled with copies without attribution.

Paul

(First, the answer about legal aspects.)