[conspire] Quiet, Freedom-compatible NAT/firewall/misc box?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Nov 28 17:30:40 PST 2015

Dana, this dittos what you said about 'Avoton' Atom SoCs and IMPI back
in March at
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2015-March/007997.html .

----- Forwarded message from Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> -----

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 17:08:35 -0500
From: Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>, tech at golug.org
Subject: Re: [GoLugTech] Hardware for home servers (was: Testing)

Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> Actually, the Centon Atom 4-8 core Mini-ITX boards have 4x UDIMM, and
> can support 32GiB DDR3.  They also have an out-of-band management
> solution.  But they are slouches, yesteryear Atom and cost $250+.

Correction:  Avoton (and Rangeley).  That "C" (in the C2000 series)
always makes me remember it incorrectly.

I don't recommend the units, but if you want a 32GiB RAM and
_uncrippled_ VM platform with out-of-band on-the-cheap, it's an
option.  Intel _cripples_ most of their low-end units with VM features
disabled, so you usually have to pay a pretty penny for a high-end i5
or i7 ULV.

Hence, looping back to recommending AMD Kabini/Beema, although they
don't have out-of-band, and are going to be limited to 8-16GiB in a
single channel DDR3.

-- bjs

P.S.  FYI, I actually have seven (7) AMD Opteron 4100-4300 35W TDP
low-power 6 to 8 core unit systems for a 300-400W, total, datacenter
(did a lot of OpenStack the past couple of years).  They support both
DDR3 UDIMMs and RDIMMs, so I have 64GiB systems (4x16GiB), along with
32GiB systems.  But they are MicroATX, although it fit them into a
slim chassis (all 7 fit across a 30" wide shelf), and they have
out-of-band (SuperMicro BMC-based, IPMI-compatible).

--
Bryan J Smith - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith

----- End forwarded message -----