[conspire] CIA chief Brennan hints new gov't initiative against crypto

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Nov 25 17:05:21 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 03:52:31PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>
> > Increasingly it is obvious that these attacks on Frances were a
> > political blunder and no amount of surveillance would have prevented them.
> >
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/25/world/europe/its-capital-frozen-belgium-surveys-past-failures-and-squabbles.html
>
> I read that article; it was quite interesting.
>
> Most of the piece is about the inherent, structural reasons why Belgium
> is a deliberately decentralised country, and why Belgians in the main
> greatly prefer it that way.
>
> Unlike, say, Monty Python, I've always had a soft spot for Belgium, an
> appealing little country.  Belgium held against the entire might of
> Imperial Germany's invasion in 1914[1], the government retreating until
> it held the last 10% of Belgium next to France (the 'Yser Front'), dug
> in, and wouldn't surrender.  My dad spent time during his WWII military
> service in the U.S. Army Air Corps in company with Belgian officers,
> which is why Dad learned French with a Belgian accent.

I'm aware of much of Belgiums history, going back to the massacres of Duke Alva, and I think I have less love for the Belgium then the Dutch, but regardless,

this is not your fathers Belgium any more, and certainly not your grandfathers.

The divisions of that section of Europe are fasinating history, from Luxenbourg,
the  Duchy of Limburg,  Graafschap Vlaanderen, and even far flung Munster...
but this article is not telling the whole story.  The fact is, it is likely that
the Belgium will not be able to regain control of swarths of Belgium territory
from Islamic fundementalists without resorting to civil war and occupation be
an external armed force.

It is at a point where Anterwerp is like its own citystate and the only safe
refuge in the country, especially if you where a back hat and long coat with a
gertle.