[conspire] (forw) Re: Linux install at CABAL meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 12 00:02:56 PST 2015

----- Forwarded message from John Dwyer <juanito101 at gmail.com> -----

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 00:00:30 -0800
From: John Dwyer <juanito101 at gmail.com>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Re: Linux install at CABAL meeting

First, thanks for all the replies, I wasn't expecting any, I thought it was
just informational to prepare for the installfest.

However one of the comments regarding Mint prompted me to try that, so I
downloaded and installed Mint 17.2. The best part is that it recognized my
eth0, so I had wired internet.

As for the wireless card, " lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net" revealed

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g
WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:0007]
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge

Then I outsmarted myself and used the Admin/Driver section to install STA
driver (it said it was for wireless), which not only didn't work for
wireless, but killed my ethernet as well. I wasn't able to get it back, and
after a few tries and reboots, I re-installed everything new. A bit
extreme, but it worked.

I hope to make it to Saturday's meeting and get some help on getting the
wireless working...

thanks again,
john

----- End forwarded message -----