[conspire] We're remembering the Fifth of November

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 6 00:39:15 PST 2015

Quoting Josef Grosch (jgrosch at gmail.com):

> 'V for Vendetta' is one of my favorite movies but there is one
> little mistake in the file I always get a kick out of. Adam Sutler
> as High Chancellor is also the leader of the British
> ultra-nationalist party Norsefire. Their emblem is the  Cross of
> Lorraine, as displayed as a black flag and a red two-barred cross.
> The Cross of Lorraine has traditionally been an emblem of France.
> Give the thousand year rivalry between France and Britain it seems
> odd that an ultra-nationalist party would choose the Cross of
> Lorraine.

This is changed from Moore's concept of the party flag being a blue 'N'
on a black field, and an 'N' or 'NF' being the only party symbols shown.
Not cinematic enough?

Sutler in the movie also keeps describing himself speaking as if he were
the leader only of England, which would be very peculiar even in a
fascist British politician, and even one who _is_ English and has scant
regard for the Welsh, Scots, and Irish.  (Creedy mentions to Finch a
devastating outbreak of the Norsefire engineered virus in Ireland.)

The much bigger problem:  The Wachowskis _really, really_ shouldn't be
allowed to write dialogue.  But yes, I like the film too, anyway.