[conspire] One service visit, three existing services demolished

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Sun Nov 1 16:59:07 PST 2015

On Nov 1, 2015, at 10:07 AM, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
>
>> Given that you have evidence that cables were cut, can you file in
>> small claims court?
>
> I am considering options.
>

> One complication of an action in Small Claims Court is that, if you
> prevail, any collection you then pursue requires an entirely new,
> separate court action.  Typically, you must first wait 30 days to see
> whether the losing party coughs up what the judge ordered.  If that does
> not happen, you must notify the court and the judge who heard your case,
> so the judge can certify the judgement and acquire a judgement form.  It
> is then entered on the court's judgement docket.  Now, you are cleared
> to start your second task, seeking to collect the judgement by
> garnishment, execution, or other process.  All of your subsequent
                            ^^^^^^^^^   ... well, I wouldn't go quite that far no  matter how maddening this kind of experience can be.  ;>)

Seriously though, thanks for taking the time to document this nastiness so we can all learn from it.
I have a few thoughts on this that I'll share.

During a home remodel thirteen years  ago I was cabling the house with CAT-5 and coax and decided to install a communications box out near the street so that the box would be the point of demarcation between service providers and my home. Thanks to the guy you shave, and others, I knew I did not want Comcast or other lowest-bidder, out-sourced technicians traipsing around my house drilling holes, etc., in a manner most expedient to _their_ interests, not mine. The result is that I have an explicit point where I can verify service and signal quality and only I or my trusted technicians work on house cable/infrastructure. The box handles voice (telephone + RawBandwidth DSL) and cable (TV) and is connected to the house via a 2-1/2 inch conduit so I can add cables at any time if needed.

In other work I do on homes I always tell the contractor that I'll be watching the installation and will need to discuss the proposed installation with them before proceeding with the work and while working. (In other words, I want to know what their plan is.) I've seen Comcast techs simply drill a hole through the side of a home because it makes for an easier install _for them_ than getting under the house to connect to existing coax. Also, asked why they can't connect to previously installed coax I've been told essentially, " Well  that's old coax and we wouldn't be able to warranty our work if we connect to that."

We typically see "free installation" advertised as part of the pitch to get a customer signed up. Well, we see what can happen. I'd rather own and manage my own infrastructure.
Sorry about your truly nightmarish experience.

--
Mark Weisler