[conspire] test drive of new laptop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 15 15:46:25 PDT 2015

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> Rick Moen:
> > I have to confess I don't have a lot of experience with Linux Mint,
> > but hear a lot of praise for it from users, including its 'live' mode.
>
> I hope they've made progress in the past couple years, then:
>
>     https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2013-November/014724.html
>
> Mint was famous from the start as "Ubuntu with the most important
> security updates shut off."

That repo file, if I understand it correctly, shows what packages will
not get package updates automatically applied by the MintUpdate tool.
It doesn't follow that the user isn't going to upgrade those packages,
does it?

Apparently this is a well-worn dispute.
http://www.howtogeek.com/176495/ubuntu-developers-say-linux-mint-is-insecure-are-they-right/
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-vs-Linux-Mint-How-Safe-Are-We-Really-401480.shtml