[conspire] test drive of new laptop

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Fri May 15 09:06:19 PDT 2015

Update:

I made several bootable USB's.  Only UBUNTU actually has a live image with reasonably full functionality.  The laptop can connect to WiFi, no problems with uncommon Broadcom parts.  It can play YouTube, so some degree of display functionality.

It wouldn't work on websites that uses Flash, but that is a well known compatibility issue related to flash and FOSS.  In past, I've had to deal with "non free" after the basic install.

The Debian image only has options for installing.  I wish it had some live functionality so I could test drive gnome before deciding on windows manager. Currently I have LXDE on all my Linux boxes, from RaspberryPi to multi-core desktop.  BTW, last time I installed LXDE, there was a question, "Is this a laptop".  I was at a desktop, so I answered, "NO".  I got a really strange display. Finally I realized it was configured for cell phone/tablet.  Whoever wrote the installer hadn't thought that anyone might install LXDE on a desktop.  I had to redo the install and change that one answer.  I'm sure there is some way to just change the windows environment, but it probably would have taken me more time than just starting over.

Mint gave an option for "live", but it didn't seem to have any functionality.
Maker Faire is this weekend so I don't expect to make any more progress soon, but I think the machine passes the "keep or return" threshold.