[conspire] Agency recommendations?

Leo P yaconsult at gmail.com
Fri May 8 16:40:18 PDT 2015

Hello Folks,

After a multi-year break due to medical issues, I need to get back to
work.  Since moving to California about ten years ago, I have only done
contract work though an agency.  It was through one of the larger Silicon
Valley agencies that provided full benefits for its employees.  And there
were a couple of contracts through a second agency that was a spinoff of
the first agency.

Of course, there are advantages and disadvantages to the type of work
normally farmed out to contractors.  It's usually relatively short term
from a couple of months to, typically, less than a year.  But when you are
not on assignment, you don't get paid.  Thanks to affordable health care,
the benefits of medical coverage available by working though larger
agencies is not as important as it once was.

I am wondering if people have agencies that they would either recommend or
recommend avoiding?  I usually do sys admin work often with a
programming/scripting/automation component and am looking for something in
Silicon Valley, not in San Francisco.  Discussion of contract vs
"permanent" work would also be welcome.

I will be at Rick Moen's home on Saturday for the Cabal meeting, if you are
going.  Or feel free to email me if you prefer to not post the info to the
list.

Thanks!
Leo yaconsult at gmail.com