[conspire] test drive of new laptop

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Mon May 4 17:49:14 PDT 2015

I did a little web-searching and found that all it takes to make a live USB from a ISO file is

    dd bs=4M if=/path/to/<file_name>.iso of=/dev/sdX && sync

So I will easily be able to test the new laptop.  If it passes, I will do the install to internal drive.  If not, I have the receipt in a safe place.
As others have indicated, Ubuntu probably has the drivers (if they exist).   If I install Debian, I have to do some thinking about the purity of FOSS vs. non-free.   At least the Linux world gives each of us choices.
Paul