[conspire] (forw) Re: Ancient hardware [Was: Can Ubuntu 14.04 not install on a new HD?]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 21 21:46:23 PDT 2015

Probable answer to the question of _why_ the 2014 AMD low-power SoCs
can drive only 8GB RAM maximum, while their immediate predecessors
(such as Kabini SoCs) from 2013 can drive 4x as much.

It's because the motherboards have two DIMM sockets, and the particular
flavour of low-power DDR3 DIMMs required aren't available in higher
density than 4GB per stick.  Ergo, 8GB max.  So, it's not the SoC but
the RAM itself.