[conspire] (forw) Success. PS2 keyboard works.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 23 16:10:06 PDT 2015

----- Forwarded message from "Robert S. Johnstone" <rsjohnst at idiom.com> -----

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:53:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Robert S. Johnstone" <rsjohnst at idiom.com>
To: rick at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Success.  PS2 keyboard works.

Hello Rick and Cabaleros,

At the 27Jun15 CABAL InstallFest Rick Moen recommended that I
try a PS2 keyboard, after seeing the USB to serial port adapter
I was using to connect a new USB keyboard to an old computer.
Which new keyboard did not work.

Google search for 'PS2 keyboard' led me to Amazon, where several
brands / models were still available.

I chose the one that looked most similar to the old keyboard
I was trying to replace.  To my amazement and relief, it worked
immediately, plug and play.

Free advice does pay.

Much thanks, Rick!

Bob Johnstone

----------------------
DETAILS FOR THE RECORD

KEYBOARDS

Old Keyboard
    Keytronic  M/N KT800MSE-C  S/N C014801544
    In service more than 12 years.

    Some keys began working erratically ca January 2015,
    most notably ctrl-PgUp and ctrl-PgDn.

New Keyboard 1
    Logitech k120	no serial number
    Purchased at Fry's, Palo Alto, 08May2015
    Fry's service department tested it: worked OK with MS Windows.
    Rick Moen tested it at the 27Jun15 CABAL InstallFest:
    worked OK with Rick's Apple tablet.

    Logitech keyboard box says:
    What You Need
    Linux kernel 2.6+

New Keyboard 2
    Keytronic  M/N KT800PS2  S/N 151500834

    System Requirements:
    IBM compatible system
    PS2 keyboard port

OPERATING SYSTEM & KERNEL VERSIONS

The operating system on my computer is Ubuntu version 9.10,
installed ca September 2010 after a failure and replacement
of the hard disk.

The kernel version appears to be 2.6.31-14, so I expected that
the new Logitech keyboard would work.  Unfortunately, it did not.

MOTHERBOARD

The motherboard is part of a custom system with a Pentium 4 CPU,
built in June 2002 by MS Engineering, Cupertino.

----- End forwarded message -----