[conspire] Mailing list servers and the spam problem

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 07:36:20 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 02:51:08PM -0800, Josef Grosch wrote:
> Until the underling protocols of email are revamped to include
> strong and automatic authentication and authorization we will never
> be rid of these schmucks. If one thinks about this for more than a
> few seconds one quickly comes to understand that task of developing
> such a protocol, getting the various group that develop and support
> email to adopt this new gee-wiz protocol and, then get the world
> converted over is the proverbial kicking a dead whale down the
> beach.

You're absolutely correct; no argument here. Thankfully, both Google and Yahoo
are working on correcting the problem.

I've tried a couple of the plug-ins currently available for GMail and they're ok
but it still requires "some" effort on the account holders side to set up. On
the verification side, very easy to use with almost no effort required. There
are limitations though, such as inline editing breaks the system, so one must keep
within the limits of an "I say/You say" volley. However, I see good progress and
hope this year that default, easy to implement and use, end-to-end encryption is
a reality by the end of 2015.

--
Scott DuBois           "If you can't explain it simply, you
BSIT/SE	                don't understand it well enough."