[conspire] Mailing list servers and the spam problem

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 10:10:16 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 03:32:26PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> I meant to add:
>
> A webmail user (usually Yahoo Mail, but sometimes one of the others)
> suddenly and inexplicably sends out spam, _or_ sends out a claim that
> he/she is stranded as a traveler and in some foreign country and needs
> his/her friends to wire money to get out of trouble.  Close examination
> reveals that this is not _forged_, i.e., it really does come from the
> user's webmail account, but it seems incredibly out of character and not
> the person's writing style.

Yeah, I've seen this a LOT. Yahoo has got to be one of the worst mail systems
out there and I can't figure out why they can't seem to fix it. I rarely see
anyone using their platform anymore (at least from my contacts) aside from my
wife who I _constantly_ remind should, at the very least, switch to GMail for
everything. She uses the Yahoo account just for advertising and promo stuff like
coupons.

> And, of course, commercial mailing list services such as Google Groups,
> Yahoo Groups, Mailchimp, Mailgun, etc. are equally subject to that
> problem.

Yeah, it's hard to escape that one. A good example of why I send _signed_ mail
and suggest others do as well.

--
Scott DuBois           "If you can't explain it simply, you
BSIT/SE	                don't understand it well enough."