[conspire] Another motherboard was _not_ burned out today

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 10:00:42 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 09:13:30AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Scott:  Or, for that matter, just pick up at HSC a couple of generic
> fans of the same diameter as the obnoxious ones with LEDs.  Generic
> fans won't have those LEDs.  Figure out how your current fans mount, and
> carefully note how they are wired in.  Disconnect and dismount the
> current fans.  Replace with the generic fans.[1]  Voila.  No more problem
> with lights.

Well, with the front fans disconnected, I no longer have any "positive" airflow;
it's _all_ exhaust now from the top (200mm) and one rear-top (120mm). That's
just case fans..not including the 80mm core i5 CPU fan or the 120mm PSU fan or
the 50mm GPU fan.

It "should" be ok; but I'll set up a cron to send regular checks over the next
couple of weeks just to make sure.

> [1] Bear in mind that generic fans will invariably have the
> aforementioned regrettable sleeve bearings, thus making more noise and
> having quicker time to total failure than good fans.  Good case fans
> cost a few bucks (but are cheap insurance).

I would definitely spring for really good fans or just live with it the way I
have for the last 6 years.

--
Scott DuBois           "If you can't explain it simply, you
BSIT/SE	                don't understand it well enough."