[conspire] Another motherboard was _not_ burned out today

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 23 20:07:22 PST 2015

Quoting Mike Higashi (mhigashi at gmail.com):

> What if you're not having a power spike problem, but instead are having a
> capacitor aging problem? This could occur either within your PSU, or on
> your motherboard.

I'll certainly add, as an afterthought, that it's entirely possible that
aging analytic capacitors have been becoming a big problem on every
single Intel L440GX+ motherboard in my collection, because of course
every one of them is/was 14-15 years old.

This is one of the many reasons for retiring old computers even if they
do Just Work.  One day, some component will buy the farm from
accumulated stress or other insults of old age (as will we all, too).
If you're unlucky, the resulting failure cascade will also take out
younger and more valuable things like that 2TB drive you just installed
as an upgrade.