[conspire] How not to do antispam, latest in a continuing series

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Feb 22 14:40:34 PST 2015

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> I once configured an entire list to trigger his noisy reject systems,
> in the hopes he'd fix them out of necessity:
>
>     http://crackmonkey.org/faq.html#ANSWER43
>
> But of course that was another millennium.  Perhaps he reset the clock
> and decided to try again now that a decade and a half have passed?

Ruben, I hope you aren't.

Honestly, Ruben, I recommend reading through the docs in J.P. Boggis's
Eximconfig tarball to see an excellent working example of how to do
modern antispam.  Although you will be unable to follow its directions
directly (because you use the Postfix MTA rather than Exim4), you should
be able to read and learn from the general approach -- which can be
implemented in any reasonable MTA.

Please give up on rejecting mail programmatically after SMTP receipt.
It doesn't work right, and is going to once again cause you technical
and social problems by alienating people who are in a position to shut
you out (e.g., what Don and I have said about C-R and mailing lists).

I'm saying 'please' because I'm being nice, but I'm not asking any
favours.  I'm suggesting what you should do (and not do!) to avoid
getting painfully cluebatted.

Learn now or learn the hard way later.