[conspire] How not to do antispam, latest in a continuing series

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Feb 21 17:08:07 PST 2015

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> it is an experiment gone awry that the moment.  I'll have to get back to
> it later.

OK, no worries.  ;->

I mostly wanted to stress that the _right_ place to reject mail is
pre-SMTP-acceptance, inside the MTA.  Anyplace downstream from that
(LDA, MDA, or MUA) is not only a great deal less effective but also
tends to create really regrettable collateral damage, notably
backscatter.  So, I keep having to remind people that it's not 1990 any
more and it's a bad idea to run reject bots after mail acceptance.

(Listening to an nginx talk at SCALE.)