[conspire] Another motherboard was _not_ burned out today

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 16:03:25 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 01:03:20PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> This morning, my server wasn't pingable.  A visit to console showed it
> to be powered off.  The Furman unit underneath it showed a red LED
> marked 'Extreme Voltage'.  Quoting the manual:
>
>    If the unit has been operating with an acceptable input voltage
>    and subsequently that voltage exceeds 135V, it will shut off power
>    to the outlet and the Extreme Voltage LED will light.

[BALUG-Talk] Line conditioning (was: Goings-on and Guidance about systemd)
09/12/2014 02:53 PM

Scott wrote:

> Actually the noise that comes off our local grids is dirty as hell....
> and  not truly suitable for sensitive electronic equipment.

Rick Moen wrote:

A PIII motherboard is not sensitive electronic equipment in any reasonable
sense of the term.  Those were pretty damn hardy.

More generally, the everyday noise on PG&E lines is not the sort of
fluctuation that fries motherboards.  It just doesn't.  Over a period of
many years, it may in some cases start inducing single-bit errors in some
RAM sticks and cause earlier failure of those sticks than would occur
otherwise, but it's nowhere near significant enough to suddenly blow out
gear.  Either massive overvoltage (surges, large spikes) or undervoltage
(brownouts) would do that

> OK, so we have power spikes for some unclear reason, and server hardware
> is at risk if not behind quality power conditioning.

 (As always) I look forward to your new Compulab setup. =)

P.S. Tried to dig for the "actual" balug archive notes but can't seem to reach
them. Previous conversation pulled from old emails.

--
Scott DuBois           "If you can't explain it simply, you
BSIT/SE	                don't understand it well enough."