[conspire] WiFi adapter

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Thu Jan 16 11:52:08 PST 2014

Others have answered with good info, and I'll just pipe in
with an idea that might give you the "no external power"
requirement from the point of view of the system while
also giving you the powered hub that you need.  If the
lapdock's USB power out has enough power to run the
Pi and also the hub and all the peripherals you want to
run from it (you might want to read its specs), one could
theoretically tap into the USB cable from the lapdock to the Pi and
draw the +5V and ground to power the hub.  I'm not
saying *you* should do this- it might catch flame and
burn down your house and eat your dog, but it is
something I would probably try.

That said, you might try running this wifi
http://www.adafruit.com/products/814
and see if it works.

they say "If using with a Raspberry Pi: ... You may find that you need
to have a powered hub to use this adapter, so if you're having power
flakiness with your Pi, try a hub! "

BTW- I've been buying USB peripherals for
Raspberry Pi and finding they work *great*
with other linux devices- way fewer driver
hassles.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 9:51 PM, Paul Zander <paulz at ieee.org> wrote:
> At the November Cabal, Ross & I both had Raspberry PI's.  I brought a system
> based on the Motorola Lapdock which has a lithium battery that can power the
> Pi for several hours, but I needed to have a LAN cable.  Ross had a
> different system that included WiFi adapter.
>
> Elsewhere, I have been told that using a WiFi with Raspberry Pi requires
> using a powered USB hub.
>
> Can anyone offer information on WiFi adapters that won't require a USB hub
> and power cords.
>
> Paul

Best Regards.
This is unedited.