[conspire] good reasons to buy usb wifi (and other things) from raspberry pi sellers [Re: WiFi adapter]

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Sun Feb 9 11:45:00 PST 2014

A previous Cabal, someone was using an RPi with WiFi, but I did not recall his configuration.This inspired me to get a Wi-Fi adapter to use with my Pi and LapDock.

A usually reputable local store sold me a USB-WiFi. When I tried it, the LapDock shut down after about a minute.  Fortunately the LapDock must have a polyfuse, because it worked the next day (without the WiFi.) No discernible permanent damage.

Then I started looking for more information.  The final answer required multiple web-searches.

http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters has a long list of adapters with comments about software.  The model tried was described as:

     "works OOTB with Raspbian 2012-09-17,  without powered USB hub"

So what's the problem? I read more carefully:

stable with 1 A PSU

After several searches, I could not find specifics for either how much current the adapter needed or how much the LapDock could supply.

Eventually did a search for "RPi  + Lapdock + Wifi".  I read each website and compiled a list of the WiFi adapters models used.

One model that was frequently mentioned was Edimax EW-7811. I checked a couple local stores, but not had that brand.  Then I did a Google for just the part number.  The top hits were Amazon, Amazon, NewEgg, Walmart, eBay.  Walmart(?!) I placed the order on-line and a couple days later, picked it up.  With free ship-to-store, the price was under $10.

So far I have tested it on my home network and at Cabal.

-Paul