[conspire] launching LXDE :-)

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Sat Nov 16 13:32:24 PST 2013

Some times keeping things consistent is the best plan.    With LXDE, I have consistent desktop on Raspbian, a vintage laptop and a multi-core desktop.

I did a re-install on the laptop a few months ago by downloading the then current wheezy/lxde CD.  No problems with display.   The install included lightdm and the lxde packages.  I know because I compared it against the other computer.

When I did re-install on the desktop, I got into the situation we have discussed.  I verified that the CD image was "LXDE".  After
   update-alternatives --config  x-session-manager
   and selecting LXDE the display configurations are essentially the same on the laptop and desktop.

I can speculate on two possibilities:
  * something changed between Wheezy and Jessie.
  * The debian installation instructions say that gnome is the default.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopHowTo

To select the desktop environment that the debian-installer installs,
enter "Advanced options" on the boot screen and scroll down to
"Alternative desktop environments". Otherwise, debian-installer will
choose GNOME.
KDE is of course a renown heavy alternative.
Xfce is a fast and light alternative, and especially suited if you were using GNOME 2 and find GNOME 3 disappointing.
For older computers, consider using LXDE or Xfce, because they are less resource-hungry than GNOME or KDE. Or, you may choose e17 (Enlightenment), a new candidate that also features a touchscreen mode.

The "text" based installer did not the choice described.  There was a menu where i could have checked "laptop".  Maybe laptop implies LXDE, maybe not.  Anyway it is not worth the time to do a new install just to see if what happens.